Monday 10 February 2014

My first field work


16 January

Went with the team to a Landwise farm to take samples of the pea harvest.

To take a sample we measured a 1m2 plot, and removed all the plants in it, counting them.  This was repeated in 8 different plots.

Back at the agronomy shed, the samples were weighed and a sub-sample taken. From the sub-sample the pods were counted, the peas were shelled and counted, and bagged for further info gathering later. The rest of the sample was shelled and the peas weighed. The two pea weights were then added together.

Today I learnt that it hard to count when someone is talking to you or near you. I found it easier to count aloud, so I volunteered to shell, which meant I could talk to Tony (a casual worker).

This whole activity took us most of the day.

Note to self: wear old clothes during harvesting days!

No comments:

Post a Comment