Sunday 16 February 2014

Counting the emerging plants


As part of an investigation I planted beetroot, onion and carrot seeds in different containers, with each container having a different water content. Each container had 50 seeds so I expected 50 plants to emerge... It's taken a week for any sign of life in the pots. There are lots coming through now and its becoming a bit of a challenge to count. How many plants can you see? Not easy to count is it?
60% water content

80% water content

100% water content

As I discovered there were more than 50 plants growing. So some of the seeds were producing 2 plants.

Interesting...

I checked the onion and carrot pots but they seemed to be growing at a slower rate. And they are easier to count as they are only producing one plant per seed. Can I assume that the amount of water affects the speed of seed germination and plant emergence? I think so...





 
 


The amount of water affects the appearance of the plant. 60%, 80% and 100% in the photos.

The incubator is set at 15deg. Each shelf holds a different rep.

 In each rep there is each kind of seed in each % of WHC.

View photo.JPG in slide show

No comments:

Post a Comment