Sunday 15 June 2014

Beetroot Single vs Double Germination

10 April - 13 June

I have discovered that some beetroot seeds will provide two plants from one seed. I wonder if they grow as well as seeds that only provide one seed.

Hmm.. time for another experiment.

First I had to germinate enough beetroot seeds to collect at 15 doubles. Then I planted them in pots in a cross formation, with the centre being the double and the edges being singles. This is to simulate their growth in the field with other beetroot.

I also planted 15 singles in the same way. So, in all I now had 30 pots - enough replication to give a fair result.

Now to wait for them to start growing.
Germinating the seeds

First emergence

Counting the number of true leaves to record leaf emegence

Measuring the length of the same true leaf each week to record growth

A double...the pink mark the leafs I am measuring

A single

Uh oh! The leaves are changing colour.




Turns out that the leaves change colour like this when they are too cold, too dark and too wet.
 
Bring on summer!!!
 
 

Once I have enough data collected I will compare their growth. Hopefully before all the leaves reach their senescence (die).

No comments:

Post a Comment